Ma Ying Jieu has won what has been a tough and closely watched election in Taiwan. Emphasizing close relations with the mainland, Ma celebrated the victory as a victory for the people of Taiwan. The DPP, with charismatic (and “native Taiwanese”) Tsai, gave stoic (and “外省人”) Ma a much bigger challenge this time (characterization by my deep-green family-in-laws), losing to Ma by what looks like a 51.6 to 45.63 margin (compared to the 58% to 42% margin in 2008). While the issue of independence has been much toned down this time, relations with the Mainland still dominated the election, with issues of the economy also a major issue.
Posts Tagged ‘馬英九’
January 14th, 2012 47 comments
31 visitors online now
22 guests, 9 bots, 0 members
Quoting YouFreedom is ultimately about empowerment. This often requires the careful nurture of a government. A norm that blindly distrusts and vilifies governments at all cost is not only a danger but a disservice to humanity. (Allen)
- Opinion: Why There Is So Much Pro-War Reporting in the West? A Comment on Bloggers, Tyranny, and the Fourth Estate (3)
- Charles Liu: Just look at all the “spy” stories about NASA scientist Bo Jiang,...
- Psychological projection and the western mind (29)
- melektaus: Wittgenstein on the Jewish mind: “In his own writings Wittgenstein...
- On June 4th, Reactions to “What’s wrong with China?” and other bits (49)
- Allen: Looks like some expat in China has commented on this ugly Chinese tourist issue (though...
- The Wolf and The “Ginger Wave”, FBI, Source Codes, and the Ballad (52)
- pug_ster: @Zack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sHbx1EWtZ6Y Funny thing is that Brian Fogle is...
- What’s wrong with China? Hint: it’s not the government (79)
- Black Pheonix: Interesting survey: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new s/worldnews/10061025/Worlds...
- Open Forum (287)
- Black Pheonix: Get this: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nat ion/05/15/13/pnoy-urged-sen...
- The Mystery of Stupidity (2)
- melektaus: I think you have misunderstood what natural selection is, Guo Du. Natural selection is...
- Hollywood has underwent self-censorship training, so should Feng Xiaogang (38)
- jxie: Maybe some level of “censorship” is unavoidable, but personally would really...
- Ideology and Facts (3)
- Allen: @Charles Liu Thanks for that. That’s good to know. I sort of suspected that anyways....
- Did Millions Die in the Great Leap Forward: A Quick Note on the Underlying Statistics (10)
- wwww1234: more statistics: http://bbs.tianya.cn/post-worl dlook-751352-1.shtml
- Remembering Lu Lingzi (吕令子) (2)
- teaz: Charles Liu : Nothing to say really, so sad for all the lives lost. It’s always tragic to...
- Elgin Street and the Old Summer Palace (20)
- teaz: Ray : @DalianPaul The only reason modern Japan has any claim on the Diaoyu islands is...
- Suzhou Pingtan (苏州评弹): 姑苏十二娘 (1)
- Charles Liu: Reminds me of other Chinese all-female instrumental groups like 12 Girls Band (CN)...
- “滴答” (Dida) – Song of Li Jiang Old Town (2)
- Qomo: I wish to have the opportunity to pay a visit to Li Jiang (丽江), the ancient town famous...
- Big eyes versus slanty eyes (17)
- Fairytale: I find it very hard to believe beautiful people only have big eyes, tall nose and full...
"Jasmine Revolution" america Beijing censorship China Chinese corruption culture dalai lama democracy earthquake economy education Environment featured financial crisis freedom of speech Google government history human rights humor india internet japan language media media bias nationalism olympics politics propaganda racism reform riot Russia Today Senkaku sixfour south china sea taiwan tiananmen tibet translation U.S. China Relations xinjiang
- Opinion: Why There Is So Much Pro-War Reporting in the West? A Comment on Bloggers, Tyranny, and the Fourth Estate
- Psychological projection and the western mind
- On June 4th, Reactions to “What’s wrong with China?” and other bits
- Ideology and Facts
- What’s wrong with China? Hint: it’s not the government
- The Mystery of Stupidity
- Suzhou Pingtan (苏州评弹): 姑苏十二娘
- “滴答” (Dida) – Song of Li Jiang Old Town
- A Conversation with Boi Boi Huong on the Great Leap Forward
- Remembering Lu Lingzi (吕令子)
- Hollywood has underwent self-censorship training, so should Feng Xiaogang
- If you made a comment in the last 12 hours or so – specifically, after 10:50 pm 4/16/13 and before 2:00 pm 4/17/2013, Pacific Time…
- What The History of Online Communities Taught Me About “Freedom Of Speech”
- Botanical Espionage, The Western History of IP Violations
- Comparing Lincoln to Mao
- Elgin Street and the Old Summer Palace
- Life in flames: The story behind Tibetan self-immolation (Xinhua News)
- Chinese media criticism of Apple aims to rectify U.S. protectionism against Huawei
- A proper perspective on Sino-Russian relations
- Sports Illustrated in China
- The Wolf and The “Ginger Wave”, FBI, Source Codes, and the Ballad
- Losing The Last Accountability in the “Do-Over” Democracies, The Buck Doesn’t Stop.
- Kissinger’s “On China” – not quite a book review
- Shanghai’s Pudong in 1990 vs 2010
- Analysis (404)
- Announcements (34)
- Asian Union (10)
- aside (42)
- Book Review (4)
- culture (257)
- economy (87)
- education (39)
- Environment (46)
- Foreign Relations (61)
- General (203)
- history (54)
- human rights (48)
- Indonesia (1)
- Interview (2)
- language (20)
- Letters (48)
- media (192)
- music (56)
- natural disaster (10)
- News (328)
- Opinion (271)
- Philosophy (29)
- Photos (51)
- politics (344)
- q&a (13)
- religion (24)
- technology (58)
- trade (37)
- Translation (3)
- Uncategorized (206)
- video (92)
- White Paper (4)