Apparently, James Fallows‘ latest book, “China Airborn” has argued the reason the Internet in China is ‘slow’ is due to censorship. Due to censorship, Fallows argued, China would never be innovative enough and hence won’t be able to produce her own companies like Apple. In this article, he capitulates to his readers who contend that the Internet within China is actually fast. It’s ‘slow’ only when Westerners try to access web sites outside China. From that, he concludes China’s Internet is still an ‘intranet,’ which makes Chinese society incapable of becoming world class. That’s nonsense too. It’s the same sort of hogwash as the Chinese dream article he wrote recently. Read more…
Posts Tagged ‘“China Airborn”’
May 30th, 2012 38 comments
5 visitors online now
3 guests, 2 bots, 0 members
Quoting YouAfrican economist Dambisa Moyo, when asked about what is wrong with Western investments in the developing world, gave her answer as one word. Mindset. (Jeremy Wong Fischer)
- Business Insider’s Reporting on China (7)
- Ray: @ersim The Jewish people are not just persecuted in Germany, in fact all of Europe has...
- Open Forum (410)
- JJ: @perspectivehere Wow! Thanks so much for this info. Lots of reading to do now ...
- A Case of Corporate and National Defamation: AMSC v. Sinovel, hot air in legal and media exercises. (17)
- Black Pheonix: “If Sinovel didn’t pay for the hardware and software that it agreed to buy,...
- On Yemen drone strikes and U.S. mainstream and social media (7)
- pug_ster: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/M iddle_East/MID-01-140813.html The sad thing is that...
- Some Thoughts on the Linsanity Surrounding Jeremy Lin (55)
- livescore: I support Lin.
- “first island chain” (9)
- Charles Liu: Let’s not forget US spy planes flying out of Okinawa weekly (sometimes daily)...
- Other Snowden Relevations (9)
- Guo Du: @pug_ster Imagine the noise from the evangelical faithfuls if this happened elsewhere,...
- How CNN uses disaster to propagandize against a government (24)
- ersim: Ever since I read Edward Bernays’ booklet “Propaganda”, I learned very...
- Cross Strait Land Bridge Project, Just an Idea?? (11)
- Black Pheonix: It appears that a bridge and a tunnel were both proposed....
- Chinese Advocate Post #1: Some General Law advice for Fellow Chinese (4)
- Panthera tigris amoyensis: Spotted on China Hearsay, Presumed to be about China Law Blog and Dan...
- Orville Schell Does Not Understand “Negative Feedback” Or Tiger Mom’s Lessons. (12)
- perspectivehere: I watched this DVD and thought it was a balanced discussion, i.e., I strongly...
- Remembering Lu Lingzi (吕令子) (3)
- Black Pheonix: As it turns out, the Boston Bombers were motivated by Right-Wing American...
- New national story or not, Orville Schell and John Delury’s article whitewashes Western atrocities (23)
- Black Pheonix: Schell’s analogy of China’s celebration of history to US’s...
- Bradley Manning verdict reactions from RT (3)
- ersim: What’s the point if the majority of young people allowed the so called “occupy...
- How Food Adulteration in US is Downplayed by Media (1)
- Charles Liu: And of course, stuff like this is isolated incident and our food supply remains...
america Beijing censorship China Chinese corruption culture dalai lama democracy earthquake economy education Environment featured financial crisis freedom freedom of speech Google government Hillary Clinton history human rights humor india internet japan language media media bias nationalism olympics politics propaganda racism reform riot Russia Today sixfour south china sea taiwan tiananmen tibet translation U.S. China Relations xinjiang
- Business Insider’s Reporting on China
- On Yemen drone strikes and U.S. mainstream and social media
- Sun Yang ‘freestyle king’
- Chinese Advocate Post #1: Some General Law advice for Fellow Chinese
- “first island chain”
- Other Snowden Relevations
- Short-Sale AMSC: DOJ’s Stealth Probe of AMSC
- How Food Adulteration in US is Downplayed by Media
- Bradley Manning verdict reactions from RT
- Freedom of Speech: Case Study on That Medieval, Backward, Senseless French Law Against Insulting the French President
- New national story or not, Orville Schell and John Delury’s article whitewashes Western atrocities
- Who Stole Jobs from Detroit?
- Virtue-Shame Based Culture and Morality Needed
- Climate of not so truths
- How CNN uses disaster to propagandize against a government
- Orville Schell Does Not Understand “Negative Feedback” Or Tiger Mom’s Lessons.
- Abe Wins Huge in Japan… and some thoughts on the coverage…
- Opinion: Last Word by Melektaus on the Rule of Law
- “Cross-straits” team wins Winbledon doubles title
- “human rights,” “democracy,” “freedom,” and now, “rule of law”
- “China’s Tibet”: A Perfectly Normal Turn of Phrase
- Rampant “Legalized” Corruptions Unmentioned
- Thriving on Bad News of Others, Or Just Plain Reality Check.
- Corruptions of Different Kinds, and the Effects
- “English-language Chinese Blogs” are dead? Who’s Not Paying Attention.
- Analysis (426)
- Announcements (34)
- Asian Union (10)
- aside (48)
- Book Review (4)
- culture (258)
- economy (89)
- education (39)
- Environment (46)
- Foreign Relations (62)
- General (205)
- history (55)
- human rights (50)
- Indonesia (1)
- Interview (2)
- language (21)
- Letters (48)
- media (196)
- music (57)
- natural disaster (10)
- News (336)
- Opinion (286)
- Philosophy (29)
- Photos (51)
- politics (361)
- q&a (13)
- religion (24)
- technology (58)
- trade (37)
- Translation (3)
- Uncategorized (234)
- video (94)
- White Paper (4)