Apparently, James Fallows‘ latest book, “China Airborn” has argued the reason the Internet in China is ‘slow’ is due to censorship. Due to censorship, Fallows argued, China would never be innovative enough and hence won’t be able to produce her own companies like Apple. In this article, he capitulates to his readers who contend that the Internet within China is actually fast. It’s ‘slow’ only when Westerners try to access web sites outside China. From that, he concludes China’s Internet is still an ‘intranet,’ which makes Chinese society incapable of becoming world class. That’s nonsense too. It’s the same sort of hogwash as the Chinese dream article he wrote recently. Read more…
Posts Tagged ‘“China Airborn”’
May 30th, 2012 38 comments
36 visitors online now
16 guests, 18 bots, 2 members
Quoting You“韬光养晦，永不出头. Deng Xiaoping (鄧小平) - Judging from the context of when Deng used the phrase, a more accurate interpretation would be that he warned Chinese officials to be careful in expressing opinions on international affairs in international settings, to maintain humility and not to be too eager to grab the spotlight. (Wei Jing June 06 2010)
- Questioning Democracy Goes Mainstream? (5)
- Guo Du: @Machiavellianism Oh thanks for the link Machiavellianism. I forwarded it to a friend who...
- Destroying History via Imperialistic Propaganda of the West (19)
- choic: > My “Chinese-ness” is in my sense of my history as a Chinese person. Without my...
- American lackeys of Hong Kong: Martin Lee & Anson Chan (10)
- Sleeper: @pug_ster Such a damned place should never have existed. Lies can become truths after...
- Taiwan’s Student Mob? (8)
- Sleeper: http://i193.photobucket.com/al bums/z204/chivas1986/picfool_z ps2bb8b5a4.jpg...
- Open Forum (500)
- pug_ster: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i =093_1396774812 I find this also funny. I recall when I...
- An end to Japan’s elegant deception (10)
- pug_ster: http://blogs.wsj.com/chinareal time/2014/04/08/japan-pm-ab...
- The Winter of Obama’s Discontent (12)
- raffiaflower: Columnist Patrick Smith concludes in his article Why Obama’s Pivot Asia will...
- Is China a Resource Poor Nation? (13)
- Zack: beautiful posts, Ray actions speak louder than words and it’s clear who the real...
- Fact Checking US Government Propaganda On Maoming PX Protest Death (5)
- Sleeper: @Allen But who cares? Such “Voice of **” stations were created for cold war...
- African Economist Dambisa Moyo: Is China the new idol for emerging economies? (26)
- Ray: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ dambisa-moyo/china-is-helping- emerging_b_5051623.html?utm...
- Taiwan’s opposition to the CSSTA = trade isolationism? (5)
- pug_ster: Funny thing is that this kind of tactic of the minority DPP trying to stonewall a...
- What is a Holocaust? (5)
- pug_ster: Unfortunately, the main reason for China to go to Germany is to make trade deals, make...
- Yet another myth about democracy: “democracy+capitalism = prosperity” (8)
- Zack: they should just make it a law that any protester who sings “do you hear the people...
- 中国博客: “探索和谐”, 欢迎你 (12)
- ★列宁在1918: @YinYang
- Perceptions of corruption in the US and PRC – not exactly what one would expect (3)
- mikecooper: Really awesome post, i am am definately gonna bookmark your blog – Mike Cooper...
america Beijing censorship China Chinese corruption culture dalai lama democracy diaoyutai earthquake economy education Environment featured financial crisis freedom freedom of speech Google government history human rights humor india internet japan language media media bias nationalism olympics politics propaganda racism reform riot Russia Today sixfour south china sea taiwan tiananmen tibet translation U.S. China Relations xinjiang
- Helmut Schmidt: won’t sell Democracy to China
- Malaysia Airline MH370 – American Media Fanning the Flame Wars
- Questioning Democracy Goes Mainstream?
- Taiwan’s Student Mob?
- American lackeys of Hong Kong: Martin Lee & Anson Chan
- Fact Checking US Government Propaganda On Maoming PX Protest Death
- What is a Holocaust?
- Taiwan’s opposition to the CSSTA = trade isolationism?
- Destroying History via Imperialistic Propaganda of the West
- The Winter of Obama’s Discontent
- Yet another myth about democracy: “democracy+capitalism = prosperity”
- An end to Japan’s elegant deception
- The Cultural Revolution and Free Speech
- Avoiding the Dirty Business of Justice and Politics is Not a Good Solution
- Shinzo Abe – Little Napoleon of neo-militaristic Japan
- A Brief Note on Elections – that Bedrock of Modern Democracy…
- Happy New Year – Year of the Horse!
- My Humanitarian Intervention, A Morality Tale in US
- Perceptions of corruption in the US and PRC – not exactly what one would expect
- A History of US Strategies in South China Sea
- A Tribute to Run Run Shaw
- Happy New Year
- Errors of Soft Power, a Year-end Review
- Another Suspicious Chinese Espionage Case
- A Sobering View of Asia, Why Pivot Will Fail
- Analysis (457)
- Announcements (36)
- Asian Union (10)
- aside (49)
- Book Review (4)
- culture (265)
- economy (95)
- education (39)
- Environment (48)
- Foreign Relations (67)
- General (213)
- history (63)
- human rights (61)
- Indonesia (1)
- Interview (2)
- language (21)
- Letters (48)
- media (203)
- music (57)
- natural disaster (10)
- News (348)
- Opinion (306)
- Philosophy (32)
- Photos (54)
- politics (389)
- q&a (13)
- religion (25)
- technology (60)
- trade (41)
- Translation (3)
- Uncategorized (257)
- video (95)
- White Paper (4)