Apparently, James Fallows‘ latest book, “China Airborn” has argued the reason the Internet in China is ‘slow’ is due to censorship. Due to censorship, Fallows argued, China would never be innovative enough and hence won’t be able to produce her own companies like Apple. In this article, he capitulates to his readers who contend that the Internet within China is actually fast. It’s ‘slow’ only when Westerners try to access web sites outside China. From that, he concludes China’s Internet is still an ‘intranet,’ which makes Chinese society incapable of becoming world class. That’s nonsense too. It’s the same sort of hogwash as the Chinese dream article he wrote recently. Read more…
Posts Tagged ‘“China Airborn”’
May 30th, 2012 38 comments
66 visitors online now
42 guests, 23 bots, 1 members
Quoting YouChinese rulers feel accountability towards their population... The Chinese political system makes bold complex decisions far faster than, for example, democratic India... Americans pride themselves on constitutional checks and balances, based on a political culture that distrusts centralised government. This system has ensured individual liberty and a vibrant private sector, but it has now become polarised and ideologically rigid... (William Hooper)
- Are the Occupy Protesters really about “Democracy”? (10)
- raffiaflower: Ho-hum, another year; another color revolution, another bunch of useful idiots. In...
- Open Forum (530)
- pug_ster: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/p ost-weekend/qa-journalist-j...
- What is Your Take on Hong Kong Police Breaking Up Protesters Occupying Government Buildings and Public Spaces? (16)
- Matchut: I’d say that the Hong Kong police force is doing a good job fighting back against...
- Killing Chicken Warning Monkey (5)
- N.M.Cheung: @Ray I understand totally the anti-terrorist campaign and thanks for the links. For...
- Alternate View from Xingjiang (1)
- Allen: Beautiful post! I got distracted by events in Hong Kong, but will finish my Ilham Toht...
- The Scotland Referendum and What it might teach us about Democracy (4)
- Ray: @Allen I simply want to add on to what Allen has said. Since the Han dynasty this region was...
- Virulent racism endemic in the western animal rights movement (72)
- Allen: Here is an article titled “2 Investigators: China Floods U.S. With Near-Perfect Fake...
- Freedom of Speech: Case Study on That Medieval, Backward, Senseless French Law Against Insulting the French President (5)
- Allen: Censorship is not just about government censorship. Much, much more often, it’s...
- US Censorship Poisons Internet At the Front End, with 100,000’s of Secret Gag Orders (6)
- Allen: AS another sign that gag orders are creeping up everywhere and is the norm not the...
- Hong Kong and Democracy (7)
- ersim: What is laughable is how this “movement” in HK expect China to grant them...
- China Dream (6)
- tc: @Black Pheonix I meant to say “As a Taiwanese Chinese, I am so proud of Lin YiFu”.
- China is a Freeloader of World Order… (9)
- Guo Du: I tried and tried but couldn’t open the video clip. I can guess what he said...
- Rule of Law (8)
- Black Pheonix: @Allen “And I don’t think it’s just bad policy. It’s part of its...
- Democracy Mission – A Conspiracy Theory (2)
- Guo Du: @Allen “Democracy” is just a propaganda banner. It goes hand in hand with the...
- Paul Krugman (4)
- curious: Just a few words about Paul Krugman’s personal economic expertise. In 2013 he...
america Beijing censorship China corruption culture dalai lama democracy diaoyutai earthquake economy education Environment featured financial crisis freedom freedom of speech Google government history hong kong human rights humor india internet japan media media bias nationalism olympics politics propaganda racism reform riot rule of law Russia Today Senkaku sixfour taiwan tiananmen tibet translation U.S. China Relations xinjiang
- Are the Occupy Protesters really about “Democracy”?
- What is Your Take on Hong Kong Police Breaking Up Protesters Occupying Government Buildings and Public Spaces?
- Alternate View from Xingjiang
- Killing Chicken Warning Monkey
- The Scotland Referendum and What it might teach us about Democracy
- In Praise of “Yiyun Li (李翊雲)” and ‘Kinder than Solititude”
- Experimenting with New Themes
- Enjoy this short scenic video of Xian
- Why Democrats Can’t Win the House?
- Hong Kong and Democracy
- China Dream
- Democracy Mission – A Conspiracy Theory
- Paul Krugman
- Rule of Law
- China is a Freeloader of World Order…
- WSJ Re-reports “37 civilians killed, 13 injured in Xinjiang terror attack”
- Rectangular Track
- “Peaceful Rise” Does Not Mean a “Push Over” China
- Opium Wars…….War on Drugs
- Model Minority and Race
- Some Reflections of a Chinese American
- US Censorship Poisons Internet At the Front End, with 100,000’s of Secret Gag Orders
- Growing anti-Beijing sentiment is shifting focus away from Hong Kong’s real problems
- China’s Take on Vietnam’s Dispute with China in the S. China Sea
- The Ugly Side Shows Through from the US “Soft Power” Experiment: Freedom in Exporting Extremism.
- Analysis (475)
- Announcements (39)
- Asian Union (10)
- aside (49)
- Book Review (5)
- culture (268)
- economy (96)
- education (39)
- Environment (48)
- Foreign Relations (68)
- General (214)
- history (67)
- human rights (64)
- Indonesia (1)
- Interview (2)
- language (21)
- Letters (48)
- media (204)
- music (57)
- natural disaster (10)
- News (350)
- Opinion (314)
- Philosophy (33)
- Photos (55)
- politics (401)
- q&a (13)
- religion (25)
- technology (60)
- trade (42)
- Translation (4)
- Uncategorized (273)
- video (95)
- White Paper (4)