Apparently, James Fallows‘ latest book, “China Airborn” has argued the reason the Internet in China is ‘slow’ is due to censorship. Due to censorship, Fallows argued, China would never be innovative enough and hence won’t be able to produce her own companies like Apple. In this article, he capitulates to his readers who contend that the Internet within China is actually fast. It’s ‘slow’ only when Westerners try to access web sites outside China. From that, he concludes China’s Internet is still an ‘intranet,’ which makes Chinese society incapable of becoming world class. That’s nonsense too. It’s the same sort of hogwash as the Chinese dream article he wrote recently. Read more…
Posts Tagged ‘“China Airborn”’
May 30th, 2012 38 comments
38 visitors online now
21 guests, 17 bots, 0 members
Quoting YouRegarding your point, I think in our particular democracy, the groups with the most votes (and the most money for campaign contributions) have the most influence on public officials. Thus, the officials tend to pay less attention to complaints by minority residents – and that is morally and legally wrong. (George Monser)
- Revisiting an Oldie on Racism (2)
- Panthera Tigris Amoyensis: Correction: Dan Harris’s firm Harris & Moure have two...
- Remembering Lee Kuan Yew (5)
- Ray: @danielxu Here’s the article http://blog.hiddenharmonies...
- The Tussle over AIIB – So Much ado about Influence? (3)
- Allen: As 3/31/2015 deadline for becoming “founding members” approaches and passes,...
- Open Forum (554)
- SinoXin: A pretty interesting profile on President Xi Jinping from the New Yorker. Contains a...
- What is Legitimacy? (4)
- Black Pheonix: @N.M.Cheung “So does the means, election process, confer legitimacy? Is U.S....
- Lee Kuan Yew’s Passing is a Loss for the World (9)
- Allen: @Rhan About that Chinese fear of “threat from Malay and Muslim” … and...
- Tis a Puzzlement (1)
- SinoXin: http://nationalinterest.org/fe ature/sorry-america-china-not- going-collapse-12389 The...
- Reply to Verna Yu and NYT (9)
- pug_ster: Looks like the HK government actually have some backbone after these latest incidents....
- The Myth of a Chinese takeover in Siberia – Continued (18)
- Allen: I think this article by Huiyun Feng at the Diplomat (http://thediplomat.com/201...
- “Under the Dome” by Chai Jing (7)
- Ray: In summary personal responsibility is of utmost importance especially on issues as important...
- Eddie Huang, FOB, Time Warner Condos, and Gold Coast Houses. (21)
- pug_ster: @Sigmar Sorry, I think I have mistaken with you with Paoburen. My mistake. And no, we...
- Behind the Great Western Firewall Is the Ugly Truth (1)
- N.M.Cheung: I have no problem with Chinese Great Fire Wall as those who want to operate in China...
- Abe’s Japan going backwards on the Comfort Women Issue (4)
- pug_ster: @caixin I can say the same for Nazi Germany on how they interpret its History Books on...
- 政治局新年首次集体学习辩证唯物主义 (Politburo together studied Dialectic Materialism) (2)
- caixin: Great website, I’d never heard of it. Thanks for sharing
- Why did China ban Google? And why do the West try to shut down the Confucian Institute? (18)
- Ray: @United Chinese Diaspora The Confucian Institute pretty much operate like its counterparts...
america Beijing censorship China corruption culture dalai lama democracy diaoyutai earthquake economy education Environment featured financial crisis freedom freedom of speech Google government history hong kong human rights humor india internet japan media media bias nationalism olympics politics propaganda racism reform riot rule of law Russia Today Senkaku sixfour taiwan tiananmen tibet translation U.S. China Relations xinjiang
- Revisiting an Oldie on Racism
- Remembering Lee Kuan Yew
- What is Legitimacy?
- Lee Kuan Yew’s Passing is a Loss for the World
- The Tussle over AIIB – So Much ado about Influence?
- Tis a Puzzlement
- “Under the Dome” by Chai Jing
- Reply to Verna Yu and NYT
- Behind the Great Western Firewall Is the Ugly Truth
- Eddie Huang, FOB, Time Warner Condos, and Gold Coast Houses.
- 政治局新年首次集体学习辩证唯物主义 (Politburo together studied Dialectic Materialism)
- Abe’s Japan going backwards on the Comfort Women Issue
- The Myth of a Chinese takeover in Siberia – Continued
- Why did China ban Google? And why do the West try to shut down the Confucian Institute?
- 汉武帝还是唐太宗 习近平陷入保守主义？/On History
- Sony: the great propagandizer in the middle of its hacking scandal
- Xi Jinping’s fight against Corruption
- The True Face of “Occupy Central With Peace And Love” Western Media Self-Censored
- On China’s 9-Dashed Line and Why the Arbitrational Tribunal in Hague Should Dismiss Philippine’s Case Against China
- Second Enlightenment – Debunking Democracy
- Jeremy Lin
- Taiwan’s Recent Local Elections
- Obama vs Xi Jinping
- The Soft-power of Hong Kong Protesters – Freedoms not enjoy by American, Britain, Canadian and Australian
- Channeling Arthur Chu
- Analysis (484)
- Announcements (39)
- Asian Union (10)
- aside (50)
- Book Review (5)
- culture (268)
- economy (96)
- education (40)
- Environment (48)
- Foreign Relations (70)
- General (214)
- history (69)
- human rights (67)
- Indonesia (1)
- Interview (2)
- language (21)
- Letters (48)
- media (208)
- music (57)
- natural disaster (10)
- News (352)
- Opinion (321)
- Philosophy (33)
- Photos (55)
- politics (408)
- q&a (13)
- religion (25)
- technology (60)
- trade (42)
- Translation (4)
- Uncategorized (291)
- video (96)
- White Paper (4)