Anti-China Wing-Nut Farm
Some one suggested that we should keep a running list of known obvious anti-China media distortionists, contortionists, wind bags, wing-nuts.
So here it is. Let’s keep it running, but provide your nominations with some historical backgrounds on the nominations, type of articles, obvious and outrageous distortions. And I or someone else will add worthy nominations to the main list.
I would like to turn this into a giant wiki, but 1 step at a time.
Here are a few:
- Clifford Coonan, Journalist of the Independent. Spinner of Chinese mummy conspiracies. Famously declaring that the the mummies found in Western China were “Celtic” in origin, without any attributed sources.
- Jim Webb, US Congressman, Virginia. Wrote a letter to Secretary Gary Locke and Geithner, urging that the CFIUS (Committee on Foreign Investment in US) investigate Chinese company Huawei’s purchasing of 7 patents from bankrupted US company 3leaf, on the grounds that “Huawei has known ties to Taliban and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.” One wonders why Huawei has not been declared “terrorist organization” under Mr. Webb’s knowledge of facts. (Fortunately for the world, around the same time, Congressman Webb announced that he will retire. Unfortunately, that will not likely stop the BS).
- Christopher Cox, US Congressman, California. Infamous author of the “Cox Report” on Chinese Espionage in US, which among other things portrayed every Chinese student in US as potential agents of the Chinese government, whether they know it or not. (As a piece of wild fiction, it’s predictable and unimaginative, as well as lacking majority of resemblance to actual facts.)
- Gordan H. Chang. Opportunistic writer and peddler of doomsday prophecies. This man sells naysaying to US audience. His favorite theme, China will collapse. His second theme, North Korea will fall, and THEN China will fall. He peddles his prophecies opportunistically to Americans and Europeans when they most need it. (Once, he was working on another China-will-fall book, only to switch to North-Korea will fall theme, because North Korea was the biggest worry at the time. Look for his next predictable book on China or North Korea with the same old tune.)
- Members of the “Blue Team”. This shadowy organization of unknown specific individuals existed from the 1990’s, and worked behind the scenes for many years to advocate conspiracy theories about China and hype China’s threat against US, with the ultimate aim of forcing a confrontation with China. They believe that in the long run, China’s rising power cannot be contained, and thus the West must openly confront China and “liberalize” it before it is too late. While the whispers of their activities have died down in recent years, they are not gone, you can be sure of that.
- D.J. McGuire, http://www.blogger.com/profile/12301307129113882228, self-styled journalist who regularly contribute to Epoch Times, the media wing of the Falun Gong Cult (and I say Cult, because even US Cult watch NGO’s watch them). McGuire co-founded China e-Lobby, who takes no loss opportunities in every conceivable smear against Chinese companies as arms of the Chinese government. McGuire was responsible for originating the Huawei’s ties with the Taliban. Let’s just say this guy is way short on some key human nutrient, and the living evidence that some Americans do live in a 3rd world economy.